Pages

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Is It Time to Create a Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Plan?

I'm one of those organized people you meet every now and then, someone who makes lists and outlines. After I participated in a Search Engine Optimization (SEO) webinar, the next logical step, at least in my mind, was to create a plan. And I did.

My plan is written from the standpoint of someone who doesn't know much about computers. I can write thousands of words in record time, but since I was never trained in computers, my knowledge is limited to on the job training. Still, I thought I could benefit from a plan and here are its basics.

Know how SEO works. Chris Templeton, of Internet Influence, started the webinar by defining SEO as a program designed to improve search results and readership. In short, this approach makes it easier for people to find me -- and you -- on the Internet.

Apply the basics. I decided to start simply, and increased the number of key words and phrases in my articles. Adding links and "freebies" are other steps I've taken and I hope they get results.

Upgrade key words. An article on the wefconf.com website, "List of Best and Worst Practices for Designing a HighTrafficWebsite," ranks key words according to their effectiveness. Key website words receives a high rating, and so does inserting key words in headings. Adding links from similar websites also ranks highly and is something I'm just starting to do.

Learn the jargon. Since I'm not a "techie," I have a limited computer vocabulary. But I'm working on this and try to learn new words each week. This takes effort but, in the long run, I think the effort will be worth it.

Blog more often. Though I have a blog, I don't post on it regularly. That has changed. Today I posted two short articles and I hope to post every other day. According to the "Google Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide," blog posts on personal websites lets visitors know you've added something new and gets the word out about content and/or services.

Offer free stuff. Everyone likes to receive free items, even me. With this thought in mind, I contacted my computer technician and asked him to post some free resources on my website. They will be drop-downs on the New Resources tab. I hope to add more free resources in the future.

Use social media. Because of my age, I didn't understand the power of social media right away. But I do now. Several times a week, I post on Facebook and LinkedIn. I'm also posting more on Twitter.

Participate in related sites. The Internet has hundreds, if not thousands, of similar sites. Use them. As the "Google Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide" explains, "Hot topics in your niche or community could spark additional ideas for content or building a good community resource. Recently I posted on Author's Den, for example.

Tap every possible network. Networking may be an old idea, but it is still a good one, and I am using it big time. I am tapping grief support networks, elder care networks, and other networks that may benefit from my books and articles. For me, tapping networks is a gradual process that began with volunteering.

Making an SEO plan helped me and it may help you. Give it a try.

Copyright 2012 by Harriet Hodgson

http://www.harriethodgson.com/

Harriet Hodgson has been an independent journalist for 35+ years, is the author of 31 published books, and hundreds of print/Internet articles. Her recent work focuses on grief and she has written six grief resources, "Smiling Through Your Tears: Anticipating Grief," Lois Krahn, MD, co-author, "Writing to Recover: The Journey from Loss and Grief to a New Life," "Writing to Recover Journal," "101 Affirmations to Ease Your Grief Journey, "The Spiritual Woman: Quotes to Refresh and Sustain Your Soul," and "Happy Again! Your New and Meaningful Life After Loss." Hodgson's latest book, "Help! I'm Raising My Grandkids," will be available shortly. Please visit her website and learn more about this busy author.

No comments:

Post a Comment